background

Friday, March 9, 2012

Collections

Happy Friday! I finally (after a few setbacks) finished my medicine cabinet/first aid kit redo this week, and will get a post up about it this weekend, but in the meantime, I have to share something about myself with you.

I am a collector. Don't be freaked out by that statement. Yes, I have seen the show Hoarders, and yes, it scares me, and no, I am not THAT kind of "collector".

Now that we've cleared that up, let's get on with today's post. As I look around my house and try to think of new decorating or creating ideas, I have noticed that I have several collections, and I love coming up with fun ways to show them off.

I have an extensive love of carnival glass - a collection that was started by my mother and that I have kept up with. My dad found an awesome antique china cabinet at a resale store several years ago. It had been badly damaged in a house fire and I think he picked it up for a steal, then lovingly restored it as a Christmas gift for me. Probably one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever. It proudly displays my carnival glass.



I also love, love, love vintage cameos. My mother-in-law gave me her mother's (so my hubby's grandma) antique cameo necklace last year and it's by far one of my favorite pieces. I love wearing it and always get compliments on it.



I was in love with Mickey Mouse as a kid therefore have a great mouse house collection. My favorite is a vintage Mickey doll that had a wind-up music box inside at one point (I broke it as a child from playing the song too much). He is literally in every childhood picture of me from about age 2 to 5.

Grandma, me, and Mickey (of course)
I'm picking up a theme in my collections - antique, vintage, old. I remember antiquing with my dad when I was little, something we still enjoy doing together. I told you I might secretly be a little old lady. Eh.

What collections do you have? How do you showcase them, or do they sit in boxes in the attic? Are they things you can use, like my cameo necklace, or are they for looks? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment